Thursday, December 02, 2004

The fall of Apartheid, I knew I was part of it in some way - Lucky Dube


Interview of Lucky Dube at Pole-pole Festival on July 4th, 2004, (Belgium) By JOEL SAVAGE


Interview of Lucky Dube at Pole-pole Festival on July 4th, 2004, (Belgium) By JOEL SAVAGE



Lucky Dube is no doubt, one of the best reggae artists the world has ever produced. His strong dissemination of melodic messages about racism, exploitation, and oppression has won him an acclamation all over the world. 


On July 4th, 2004, in Linkerover-Antwerp, after playing live he granted this exclusive interview to the Voice Magazine Belgian Correspondent. Joel Savage

TV: When you started music at a young age, did you ever dream that one day your music will be much accepted by reggae fans worldwide today?

Lucky: Well I have an idea. Really this was a dream for me. I wanted it to be like that, even though I wouldn't have a clear vision as to know how big it can be. But I have an idea I wanted the music to reach people everywhere in the world.

TV: Many fans think that you are another Peter Tosh in the field of reggae, with strong lyrics of liberation. How do you react to this credit?

Lucky: It's a very great honour really because Peter Tosh was the greatest musician that ever lived and so I respect him so much and to be given the same stage as he is a great honour to me. I do really appreciate that.

TV: On one of your albums "Soul Taker" there is a special track called "Teach the World". Please, what inspired you to write such a great song?

Lucky: Well "Teach the World" started actually because when we go round, there are a lot of things that we see and people from different countries, different cultures and everything. But only to find out that people don't know much about Africa. 

They have some mis-speculations about Africa and just wanted people to teach each other. People in Africa must teach the outside world about their culture, beliefs and everything and wanted the outside world to teach Africa about their culture.

TV: You fought against apartheid in your songs. How did you feel ten years ago, to see apartheid falling like the Berlin wall in 1989?

Lucky: It was great because it was the biggest dream I had at that time. So I was very happy when it finally happened. I knew I was part of it in some way. So I was very happy when it happened.

TV: You played in Washington DC on September 20, 2000, with Joseph Hill's Culture. What was your experience with that group, since Joseph's message in the music, is in line with yours?

Lucky: Well it has been great with Joseph Hill. You know I have done many concerts with him. He is one of the good men in the music industry.

TV: Being a South African, you have visited many African countries, have you ever visited war-torn countries like Sierra Leone and Liberia, since you have thousands of fans over there?

Lucky: Yes we have visited those countries.

TV: That's great to hear that;

TV: Reggae in jail, reggae in church, everybody likes it. That's a true statement by you. But why is it that reggae music is given less attention than any other music. Is it because of its strong message?

Have a copy of this great book to read the interviews of your favourite reggae and African artists.

https://www.amazon.com/Passion-Reggae-African-Music-ebook/dp/B013L9A1JQ?